I am honored and excited to be joining the Tournament Park Tennis Club family in my fourth year as Director of Tennis. I am looking forward to working with new students and ones I have worked with in the past three seasons and during the winter time. The coaching staff is eager and ready to help all players to improve your game to the next level. We are looking forward to providing a fun, healthy and rewarding coaching approach in your private, group, cardio tennis and camp lessons. We will have a fitness coach on site providing you with healthy tips to stay active and injury free.
Sign-up for the Junior Tennis Camps and our Fitness Boot Camps have started in full swing, don’t hesitate to give us a call. You can contact me directly by phone or email me to see what we have available. See you all at our Registration Night Wednesday April 18th and on Opening Day May 5th with free clinics, round robin and plenty of BBQ for everyone. Bring your racquets and game as this will be one sweet 2018 season!
Radu Daniel Popescu
Director of Tennis
Radu Popescu has been teaching tennis for over 14 years and has worked with many juniors ranging from international, provincial/national level to beginners without tennis experience. As well as adults ranging from beginners to advanced. In the past 3 years he had the experience to serve as a travelling coach on the professional tour ATP and WTA. Coaching/managing Canadian players on the Challenger and Futures tour as well top 100 WTA players from Romania.
Prior to going on tour and Radu was Assistant High Performance Tennis Professional & Head of Schools Programs at North York Tennis Association (NYTA). Currently Radu is the Director of Tennis and Head Pro at Tournament Park Tennis Club a community club with 400 members in the heart of Toronto, during the April to October season. As well Radu was the Co-Director of the Elite High Performance Program at Thornhill Park Tennis Club during the 2016-17 winter season. Presently Radu Coaches at the Aviva Centre (Tennis Canada) privately during the winter season.
Radu has played junior tennis and was a former OTA (Ontario Tennis) top 25 ranked player. As well played different adult tennis tournaments. Played Varsity level soccer for Dalhousie.
Attends on a yearly basis numerous professional development courses with Tennis Canada, OTA, USTA and ITF. Radu is a certified Coach 1, and CP1 + CP2 (Club Pro 2 professional) as well a Cardio Tennis professional (OTA). Currently attending CP3 (Club Pro 3 professional) with Tennis Canada with completion date November 2018.
Bachelor of Arts from Dalhousie University and Post Graduate Diploma in Sports Business Management from University of Ontario - Durham College.
Assistant Tennis Professional
Kooros Ghasemi has 6 years coaching experience including five seasons coaching at Tournament Park Tennis Club and 3 years as a Tennis Professional in the High Performance Program at North York Tennis Association (NYTA). On top of his coaching experience Kooros has an impressive playing background currently playing on the ATP circuit.
- Currently attending the Faculty of Kinesiology at York University (Toronto) 3rd year;
- Certified level 1 Instructor by Tennis Canada;
- Certified member of the Tennis Professionals Association;
- Official Hitting Partner at the BRD Bucharest Open 2014 (official hitting partner for Simona Halep WTA #3);
- Currently playing on the ITF Futures Tour and ATP challenger Tour. Played past 2 years over 15 ITF futures in Romania, Tunisia, Portugal, USA and Spain and a 30K Challenger. Over 7 ITF Futures events in Canada including two main draw doubles performance;
- Has played with both top 100 ATP and WTA players on Tour;
Assistant Tennis Professional
- Certified Tennis Instructor by TPA Tennis Canada
- Certified Standard First Aid & CPR/AED by Red Cross Canada
- High Performance Provincially (OTA) and Nationally ranked tennis player for over 10 years
- Competed on Team Canada Tennis for the Maccabi Games 2017; consolation semi-finalist
- 3 years of coaching experience at Tournament Park, North York Tennis Association (NYTA), and Thornhill Park Tennis Club
- 4 years of hitting partner experience; including Tournament Park and Toronto Tennis Academy (TTA)
- Played in Junior ITF’s, Women’s Opens, and ITA tournaments; Michigan State ITA consolation semi-finalist
- Coach and hit with all ages/ all levels of tennis
- Experience with large/ small groups, summer camps, privates, semi-privates
Darren has specialized in in-home fitness training / boot camp for the past eight years, coming to clients in their homes, places of employment and in parks.
Born in South Africa, Darren’s family moved to Toronto in 1987. Growing up, Darren dedicated his life to sports and fitness and was a lead player in sports such as basketball, tennis, soccer, ice hockey and volleyball.
In his late teens, Darren suffered a back injury which resulted in two herniated disks. Doctors told him he would never be able to train again; one warned him that “lifting weights would be like drinking poison.”
But Darren’s positive attitude and love of his chosen career would not let him give up his dreams. He not only strengthened his back, but proved that using exercise techniques can correct even severe medical conditions. He went on to graduate from Humber College’s program in Fitness and Health Promotion.
Today, Darren brings that dedication, personal experience and expertise to help his clients achieve their own goals. His philosophy is to train hard, eat smart and get adequate sleep.
Assistant Tennis Professional
Carla Suga has 4 years of coaching and assistant coaching tennis experience at Tournament Park Tennis Club and The Boulevard Club.
Previously achieved a full tennis scholarship at Murray State University in Kentucky, USA.
- Graduated with a Business Administration, Marketing Degree from Murray State University (Kentucky, USA) in 2014
- Certified Level 1 instructor by Tennis Canada
- Played 4 years of University/Collegiate level in the US
- As a junior, was a National Level player
- Played various Junior ITF tournaments